Reductio ad absurdum

lib·er·al \Lib"er*al\, Adj. 1. Favoring political and social reforms tending towards democracy and personal freedoms for the individual; advocating reform or progress in education, religion, etc. 2. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; not bigoted. 3. Open to new ideas for progress; tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Thursday, September 08, 2005

12 Books that Changed the World...

Some fish wrap in the UK is listing what they believe to be the 12 books that most changed the world. I don't know where they got the number 12 but it's an interesting list.

The 12 books are:
Darwin - The Origin of Species (1859)
The First Rule Book of the Football Association (1863)
William Shakespeare's First Folio (1623)
Newton - Principia Mathematica (1687)
Adam Smith - The Wealth of Nations (1776)
William Wilberforce - Speech to the House of Commons (May 12 1789)
The King James Bible (1611)
Patent Specification for Arkwright's Spinning Machine (1769)
Mary Wollstonecraft - A Vindication of the Rights of Woman (1792)
Michael Faraday - Experimental Research in Electricity (1855)
Marie Stopes - Married Love (1918)
Magna Carta (1215)

I consider myself a well read man, and I haven't read any of these books. But then I doubt that many people have read The first rule book of the football association. I would have thought the list would have been based on literature and not speeches or rule books or patent specifications. I thought this would make interesting copy for my blog but I am quickly realizing that it does not. Seacrest Out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home