Reductio ad absurdum

lib·er·al \Lib"er*al\, Adj. 1. Favoring political and social reforms tending towards democracy and personal freedoms for the individual; advocating reform or progress in education, religion, etc. 2. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; not bigoted. 3. Open to new ideas for progress; tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Sunday, July 17, 2005

a new feature column...

I am delighted to be able to offer my readers a new feature on wesincalgary, an advice column which will appear whenever The Local Tough Guy writes one. If any of you have any questions for Local Tough Guy, email me with them and I will pass them along.

ASK THE LOCAL TOUGH GUY
Dear Local tough guy,
My boyfriend and I recently had a dispute regarding the delegation of chores around the house. It seems as though he erroneously expects me to do the vacuuming despite the fact I work opposite shifts and I do most of the laundry and ironing. I know he loves me dearly and isn’t doing this on purpose, yet I think he needs to be more accepting of the fact that this would mean a lot to me. How do I get my message through?

Sincerely,
Tina in Calgary

Dear Tina,
The Me262 may have appeared to be a trump card in the Nazi’s air arsenal, but make no mistake, despite it’s sleek lines and low bypass ramjet engines, it’s inherent lack of fuel economy in tandem with it’s undeveloped handling characteristics made it a less than formidable foe for the likes of the P-51 Mustang. For distance dog fighting or picking a clumsy Lancaster or B-29 out of the air, sure it is like hunting turtles with a drill.However, if you were planning to get close in against a more agile foe, I wouldn’t recommend buying any green bananas.

Dear Local tough guy,
The peonies that I planted a few years back are not thriving very well this year despite the liberal rainfall. I suspect it might be because we recently planted a small apple tree which is blocking the sunlight, but my boyfriend thinks it is on account of increased soil salinity or maybe even when our cat Leon goes to the bathroom in the garden. Any suggestions?
Yours Truly,
L.M.

Dear L.M.,
This is a perennially thorny issue-is the 1968 Nova SS really faster than the 1970 Dodge Superbird? True, with it’s 440 hp hemi and 4:3:1 transmission (Tall gears!) the ‘bird will probably prevail over a longer distance. However the ol’ SS with it’s 396 hp engine,when the green flag drops, the bullshit stops and you’d better hope you’re on the quarter mile or less, or Dodge boy will have your pink slip, and you’ll be taking the loser-cruiser to work

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home