Reductio ad absurdum

lib·er·al \Lib"er*al\, Adj. 1. Favoring political and social reforms tending towards democracy and personal freedoms for the individual; advocating reform or progress in education, religion, etc. 2. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; not bigoted. 3. Open to new ideas for progress; tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Runner runner Mom....

One of the best qualities to have as a poker player is to be unpredictable. An unpredictable player cannot be bluffed and will confound and confuse other players who wil often avoid getting mixed up in a pot with a loose cannon. Case in point, my mom.

I picked up my new poker table on monday night and within seconds my extended family was drinking beer and talking smack around it. The table is only 3 days old and there are already epic bad beat stories to be told! I'm sitting in the big blind with ATo and check rather than raise to attempt to see a cheap flop. The only other callers are my mom (the loose cannon) and someone else, B.Sherm maybe. The flop comes jack-queen-king rainbow. A truly monster flop for me. I bet out 15 bucks (the blinds at this point are either 1-2 or 2-4) so it is a substantial raise. My reasons for doing this are actually quite varied.
1. I want to isolate whoever has the stronger hand so that I am not playing against more than 1 person, a large raise should entice some folding since the flop looks scary and it probably hit me given my table image and the huge bet I have just thrown out.
2. I have been getting outdrawn lately so if this bet takes the pot right there, so be it.
3. I overbet in case my mom has any sort of drawing hand like A-K or even if she has hit trips and the board could pair on the turn or river giving her a boat. P.Sherm likes to call bets to keep people honest.

So after I bet 15 my brother folds and my mom calls. The turn is the jack of spades. I don't like this card at all. Given that my mom called a huge bet and she could be sitting on 2 pair or trips right now or she may have made her boat. I don't have position and I know she is more likely to call a bet made by me than to make a bet of her own, I check and she checks also.

The river is a 6 of spades. This doesn't really scare me, there are 3 spades on the board but there was only one spade on the flop so I'm not thinking of anyone making a flush with all those high cards on the flop. I bet another 15, a value bet this time hoping for a call and trying to sweeten the pot. My mom calls and flips over 3-4 of spades for the flush. Wow. I'm literally shell shocked and am in full blown tilt at this point. I don't think I really did anything wrong but I still lost. There's only one thing you can say "That's poker". And as if you can get mad at your own mom for outdrawing you, and after all the table was a Christmas present so she deserved to take some of my money....

I'll post some pics of me looking cool and posing with the table later this week, I know you guys can't wait.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Is your mom playing on Friday? If so count me out, I'll just write her a cheque for $20, it'll be less painful!

     
  • At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My mom is a loose cannon too. Totally unpredictable and will always be in the final 3. It is unbelievable!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home